We live in very materialistic times. I admit I often judge a person based on very temporal things like:
- what one does for a living
- how much money one makes
- where one went to school
- what assets one owns (and flaunts)
- how much one weighs
What's even worse is I tend to compare myself to others based on those very superficial measures. That's when I feel sad and hate myself for not being:
- Successful enough
- Educated enough
- Rich enough
- Thin enough
- Strong enough
But then I tell myself that those things are inconsequential because even if I had enough of the material things, I will never have enough and I will never be enough. None of those things will matter. I am reminded of how grown ups behave as written by Antoine De Saint-Exupery in the Little Prince and it goes:
I do not want to be that kind of a grown up. I do not wish to be the businessman the Little Prince saw in one planet who counts the stars and puts them in the bank because he thinks stars make him rich. I should not define myself in temporal terms but instead strive to find joy in spite of the things I lack. I find simple joys in:
- Being homesick because it means I have two homes
- Being overweight because it means I never had to go hungry
- Being currently unemployed because it gives me the opportunity to recharge from years of working
- Starting over because I can redefine who I am
- Being an alien in a foreign country because it forces me to showcase the best of what the Filipino is
- Not having enough money because it teaches me to focus on the important things and appreciate the small things in life
Small things that make me happy these days:
- TV series marathon with Ben
- Long FaceTime or Vonage calls with my family
- Waking up to 50 viber messages from former officemates
- Cooking my own meal
- High speed internet access
- Five Guys burger (at least until we start low carb again)
- Low carb ice cream and carbquik (when we restart low carb this weekend)
- Napping during the day
- Bike rides with Ben
- Getting through a kettle bell workout
Come to think of it, I am not truly lacking. My tiny little cup overflows.
- Being homesick because it means I have two homes
- Being overweight because it means I never had to go hungry
- Being currently unemployed because it gives me the opportunity to recharge from years of working
- Starting over because I can redefine who I am
- Being an alien in a foreign country because it forces me to showcase the best of what the Filipino is
- Not having enough money because it teaches me to focus on the important things and appreciate the small things in life
Small things that make me happy these days:
- TV series marathon with Ben
- Long FaceTime or Vonage calls with my family
- Waking up to 50 viber messages from former officemates
- Cooking my own meal
- High speed internet access
- Five Guys burger (at least until we start low carb again)
- Low carb ice cream and carbquik (when we restart low carb this weekend)
- Napping during the day
- Bike rides with Ben
- Getting through a kettle bell workout
Come to think of it, I am not truly lacking. My tiny little cup overflows.

Ditas!!!!
ReplyDeleteFirst of all, CONGRATULATIONS to you and Ben!!! I am so happy for you both. I hope you are both doing well and in the best of health! Are you still in touch with Marcy? I hope she was able to attend your wedding :-) I hope Macky and Doogie were there too. I wish you and Ben more blessings and happiness.
I'm glad your returned to blogging. I have always enjoyed reading your blog even before with the other one. This particular article made an impact on me though since I know and understand where you are coming from. It took being diagnosed with Stage 4 of a rare kind of cancer for me to relearn this lesson of life. Yes, your cup, which is in no way tiny, overflows! You are blessed! :-)
Don't worry - being unemployed is only temporary. As you mentioned above, not working for now allows you to recharge from all the years you have been working. I know how hard you worked and you deserve this short break. Once you start working, it will be harder to go on vacation :-)
Please say hello to Ben. I hope you, Marcy and I will have a chance to talk soon. I miss those days! Do you have Marcy's contact? God bless you always! :-)
You are missed, girl!
- dimp
Dimps! Is that you? Looooong time. How did you find this blog?
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry to hear about your ordeal with cancer. Are you okay? What kind is it? Are you in remission? Where are you based now? I hope that you find strength to fight it. There are many miracles and you can be completely healed of cancer. You are a woman of faith, so I know you have the right, positive attitude towards the cross you are carrying.
No, I have not talked to Marcy since maybe 2009/2010. I guess the fault is mine. I never made an effort to reach out. I don't have her phone number; I don't know where she is connected right now. She doesn't have FB either so I really have no idea how she is right now. My wedding was really a small one, so I didn't get to invite any of our friends.
How is Brian? Do you have kids? Are you in touch with any of our friends?
Hi Ditas! What's a good way to get in touch with you privately? :o) Skype? Yup, it has been a long, long time! I used to read your first blog so once in a while I try to see if you have updated it or if you created a new one. I wonder where Marcy is now. Hello to Ben! :o) Hope to hear from you again, girl! :o) So much to catch up on!!! Na miss talaga kita :o)
DeleteWe can talk here! There is a chat box at the bottom right side (chat wee). Leave me a message!
ReplyDeleteHave a present for you and Ben for your wedding :-) Do you have pics of the wedding you can share? Lamo i was really happy to hear from you. After I was diagnosed with cancer, I made my own bucket list and part of it was to reconnect with you and Marcy. I wonder where she is now. I miss you both a lot talaga! :-) Real friends are hard to find nowadays and 21 years of friendship is something one just doesn't throw away. Hope to be able to talk to you soon. Pls remember me in your prayers especially since I will be seeing my oncologist again soon. I feel so blessed we reconnected again after a long time. Sana we will find Marcy and reconnect with her too. Pls give my regards to Ben ��
DeleteHope you got the messages I left :-) I'm not very familiar with chat wee though, lol . It appears to make up a new username every time I am here. Hope to be able to chat with you here soon. Take care! ;-)
ReplyDelete