Saturday, October 25, 2014

Week-long Unrestricted Eating

It had been raining all week in Albany, casting a very gloomy mood.   It's not even winter yet and I feel I'm having a case of the winter blues:

Long bouts of sadness.
Unexplained fatigue from doing nothing.
Staying under the covers, refusing to get up.
Crying over the littlest of things.
Unusual surge in appetite.

And then I caved in.  Stuffed my face with carbs.  

This week I had:
Pizza.  Burgers.  Milkshake.  Pasta.  Fries.  Cake. Chips.  Bagels. Rice and more rice. 

I had a weeklong carb fest of unrestricted eating and boy did it feel good!!!  I badly needed these food. I had good excuse to do it, too.  My dad, brother and nephew's birthdays are all during the 2nd half of October, so I am celebrating remotely with them.  

And because we weren't counting carbs this week, Ben and I decided to eat out (something that's very hard to do on a low carb diet).  We tried this Afghan restaurant in Central Ave (Afghan Kabob Express) and it was delish!   The gyro over rice was sooo good!  I can't get over how buttery the rice was and I couldn't get enough of that white garlicky yogurt sauce and their green chutney.

Beef Gyro over Basmati Rice

What we liked the most was the appetizer called bolani.  It's a fried flat bread with potato and green onion filling.  What made it good is that it is starch (dough) filled with another starch (potato).  How can you go wrong with that?

Bolani

Food is amazing.  It does wonderful things to lift your spirits.   I am fighting the blues with carbs.  It's working, but I am afraid it is not sustainable solution.  The week is about to end and our unrestricted eating ends tomorrow, Sunday.  We go back to low carb  on Monday.   If come Monday, my melancholic self manifests itself, I will fight it.  Not with carbs but with endorphins.   I might need the elliptical machine and kettle bells again. I will not be depressed!  


No comments:

Post a Comment